Hi, I'm Daniel Nelson.
I launch disruptive ideas by building products people love.
At my core I am a maker.
I draw from years of experience crafting visual narratives and managing digital products. My role as a UX designer is deeply informed by my background in visual art and product management. These disciplines are the perfect foundation to appreciate what makes good design work and how each carefully crafted detail fits into a bigger vision. I enjoy all phases of the design process, but am most drawn to interaction design—where wild ideas that can change the world become touchable, testable realities. I am motivated by a compelling vision, find energy in moments of awe and playfulness and routinely find myself drawn to emerging technology.
Journey to UX Design
UX Integrates Past Experience
- Reconnect with hands-on design process
- Build on product strategy background
- Combine data insights with deep listening
- Prioritize human centered design in complex technical context
- Collaborate with UX design + UX research
- Lean + agile development environment
- Grow in a mission-driven team
- Apply HTML/CSS and visual design
- Create new tools to solve problems
- Connect my passion with others needs
- Develop grit and resourcefulness
- Hone craft of visual storytelling
- Visual design foundations
- Language of 3D material (physical + digital)
- Meaning of image in society past + present
UX Tools + Methodology
I learn quickly and adapt to whatever tools and processes are needed. Highlights from my current toolbox include:
- Sketch App
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Flinto, Invision, POP by Marvel
- Paper Prototyping
- User Journey Mapping
- Affinity Diagramming
- Card Sorting
- Agile + Lean Methodologies
- UX Research, Persona Development
- Information Architecture
- Product Management, Product Strategy
- Content Strategy
- Visual Design (color theory, composition, typography)
- Photography, Visual Storytelling
- SWOT/Competitive/Comparative Analysis
- Heuristic Evaluation
- Mobile Applications
- Responsive/Adaptive Web Design
- SaaS, Software Implementation, GTM
Awards + Recognition
Hackathon Winner (General Assembly)
- My team of two GA web development students and two other UX design classmates snagged the first place overall and most innovative awards for our “Funscreen” calculator.
- Our prototype uses manually entered city location and SPF number to calculate when you should next re-apply sunscreen.
"Be it." Award (Limeade)
- Limeade recognized me for embodying the company value “Be it.” — in this case focusing on my role in shaping a culture of well-being in my role at Limeade.
- Read my interview on the Limeade blog.
Undergraduate Research Award (UW)
- The University of Washington’s College of Arts and Sciences awarded me this competitive grant to fund research for my undergraduate thesis.
- My research explored how entering liminal spaces shifts our perception and impacts image creation.
Deeper Story (Kaplan Grant, UW)
- Recognized for excellence in narrative non-fiction short story writing.